Blueberry and almond tart
1 December 2017
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
- 50g (blanched almonds) lightly roasted and cooled
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- 90g butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 100g (3 1/2oz) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 175g ground almonds
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 150g blueberries
- 190g icing sugar
- First make the pastry. Whizz the cooled, roasted almonds in a blender until fine, then add the flour and blend. Add the butter and a pinch of salt and pulse, until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the yolk, sugar and 1-2 tbsp of water; pulse until the mix forms a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, roll into a ball, wrap in clingfilm; chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a $1 coin and line a 24cm (10in) loose-bottomed tart tin. Prick the tart with a fork then chill for 20 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Put the tart tin on a heated baking sheet, line the pastry with baking paper and baking beans, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking paper and beans and bake for another 3-4 minutes, or until the pastry is firm and just golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool, then, while still warm, trim the excess pastry from the edges.
- Reduce the oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 150°C. For the filling, beat together the butter, sugar, almonds, eggs and almond extract until smooth. Spoon into the cooled prepared pastry case and smooth the surface. Bake for 30 minutes.