1 April 2018
Preparation time: 30mins
Cook time: 2 hours
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1.3kg beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm chunks
- 4 eschalots, peeled, roots intact, halved
- 3garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thickly sliced
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 4 small red chillies, halved lengthways
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Cook, in 2 batches, for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add eschalots, garlic, carrot and celery to pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until starting to brown. Add thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add wine. Cook for 2 minutes or until reduced by half. Return beef to pan. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, stock and 1 1/2 cups cold water. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Stir in chilli. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using tongs, remove beef from sauce reserving sauce to serve on tagliatelle. Roughly shred beef before serving.